Thank You for visiting! Merci pour avoir visite

Translate my blog

Sunday 16 February 2014

Genetic Potential & Relative Strength



This is the first of a series of blogs regarding my Genetic Potential challenge. Recently I have seen so many wellness companies directly associate themselves with a large supplement company. The more I expose myself to the fitness industry, the more I become blown away by the amount of money people are throwing away on illegitimate supplements for the ‘idea of wellness’. They are seeking the 'flow' of physical activity without understanding it is intrinsic, not always extrinsic.
With this in mind, I have decided to continue on the path I was born to be on. Each day I am going to continue to focus my frugal and logical decisions that define my personal wellness. I am going to continue to push my limits through smarter workouts and even better personal nutrition standards. Simply put, I am striving for my Genetic Potential. What is genetic potential, you ask?
Genetical Potential is defined as the theoretical optimum performance capability which an individual could achieve in a specific activity, after an ideal upbringing, nutrition and training. In real terms it may be assumed that the finalists in a world championship are among the human beings whose performance comes closest to their genetic potential. Also known as genetic endowment.”

Although this definition can read as vague, I believe that each one of us can reach our genetic potential. I believe it is a feeling which accompanies high level performance more than anything else. I also think it is like having a full ‘virtual knapsack’ as a trainer. I think that we have developed neat ways of challenging our bodies to new standards based on advancements in both technology and science.
An example of an athlete who functioned at his ‘sport specific’ Genetic Potential for years (prior to doping) was Lance Armstrong. He was a fine tuned machine who combined specific training and nutrition, along with his innate genetic endowment, to become his greatest potential. However, we all know where that eventually led him. Don’t worry, I will not be injecting myself with drugs from syringes in Coca Cola cans when I start training hard like Lance did.
As a personal trainer who focuses primarily on injury prevention and functionality, I am fascinated by relative strength. Relative strength can be defined as the maximum force exerted in relation to body weight or muscle size. Being 159 lbs, I continue to push my strength limits without compromising functionality and risk of injury. Given my ways of training, I am going to use my relative strength and aerobic gains to measure up to my overall Genetic Potential.
Now, you are probably thinking, “Ryan, I am confused”. That is ok! This can become verbose. Just know that each of you can train effectively and adopt my training philosophies for your best health and well being. You don’t need to buy anything (other than good workout/running shoes). Feel free to contact me if you want to learn more about my personal relative strength training and Genetic Potential plan!

Ryan Fahey

No comments:

Post a Comment