Thank You for visiting! Merci pour avoir visite

Translate my blog

Monday 16 December 2013

2013 Reflection Part II


"I am not an author, but I have a story to tell."
-Jim Dotson


          While I was committed to work in New York, the day before I left I was told I was accepted to work in NC. I left for NY with a sense of ease of the granted employment opportunities in front of me . 
This summer, I worked at Hampton Country Day Camp as their Athletics and Program Coordinator. My roll was unlike anything I had ever experienced. Each day I learned, grew and developed as a young member of the camp’s leadership team. Again, I feel truly blessed by such amazing staff and coworkers which made this 2013 summer the most amazing summer of my life in New York.
          August hit and ‘Summertime Sadness’ kicked in. I knew work would soon start in North Carolina but was waiting for government approval.  I found myself back home in Oxford, N.S living out of my suitcase. I sold all of my assets and was awaiting a call to be accepted into the United States to work in NC. As timing would have it, the U.S Government shutdown and my application collected dust on a desk in Maryland. I spent five sleepless weeks wondering if I would wake up having a job which I had already invested everything in.
        As October flew by I realized that this was probably the most important part of my past six years. I was able to work alongside my dad on numerous projects, spend time helping my sister and brother-in-law move and start their careers, and deeply reflect on my own leadership each day. I knew that 2013 was going to continue to be the most pivotal years of my life.
        October 16th approach and the wheels were up. I remember flying into North Carolina not knowing anyone. I found myself scurrying around the airport looking for a face I had only seen over Skype a few times. That face welcomed me with open arms, and yet another amazing person was set to enter my life. That day I was dropped off at a beautiful home in North Raleigh. I grabbed my suitcases, which had been packed since August, and ventured into this house of newly found friends whom I had never met.  Since meeting them, these “friends” have absolutely become the most influential and important people in my life, next to my own birth parents. They took me in, directed me to the best doctors, helped me find a car, and provided me with food, a place tohead and a place filled with love.
        As this year closes, I want to thank everyone who has made my life so successful. From NS to NY and from NY to NC, I am truly grateful for the great people I was able to meet. From the leaders at St.FX and my HCDC Staff members, to my friends and family; your love, generosity, compassion, helpfulness and integrity have all lifted me to where I am today. Ultimately, all I can say is how excited I am for 2014 to approach and I look forward with optimism and a clear heart.  What I’ve taken from 2013 is to never lower the bar and never accept “no” for an answer.

Ryan Fahey


No comments:

Post a Comment