Thank You for visiting! Merci pour avoir visite

Translate my blog

Friday 22 June 2012

Extreme Heat & Exercise



      Ladies and gentlemen, it is a pleasure to write this blog for you. There is 
nothing I love more than the heat. I love warm places, warm houses, etc.. 
However, in New York, the word "heat" is literally taken to a new level. 
Recently, the weather in East Hampton has reached 86 degrees Fahrenheit
(which for those from Nova Scotia is 30 degrees Celsius). 
     Aside from the humidity, this heat has taken a toll on my body. I have 
recently realized that the abrupt change in both humidity and temperature can strain your body. When you increase your body's exterior temperature and 
humidity, your blood automatically rushes to your extremities and your heart 
rate increases in the stress of unusual heat. When you pair this added exertion with your regular exercise routine, you will often find that your body has to adjust to these conditions. This can lead to a slower running pace and consuming more liquids.
 
    Specifically, I have noticed that I consume 1/3 more water each day than I did in Nova Scotia. I have also found that my running pace over 6 km has 
decreased slightly in order for my body not to overheat and possibly faint in the sun. Now, if you find yourself in this type of heat, I have some 
quick tips for you: 

1) Run early in the morning or late at night...(not at the hottest part of 
the day).
2) Stay hydrated 24/7. This includes having water by your bedside. 
3) Watch your sodium intake (as always, but high amounts of sodium can dehydrate you faster than you think). 
4) Finally, keep lots of fresh fruit on hand for quick sugars and alternative 
sources of water before or after your workout.

  

    With these four quick tips in mind, you can run efficiently and effectively 
during heat waves. Whether you are running long distances, working out in your basement or doing yoga on the beach, be safe and keep that body happily 
hydrated. 

Ryan Fahey 
B.A Human Kinetics 
CPTN Canada 
Canfitpro FIS, PTS
NCCP

No comments:

Post a Comment