Thank You for visiting! Merci pour avoir visite

Translate my blog

Friday 20 January 2012

probably the best thing since sliced bread..

Good afternoon folks! First of all I want to give a shout out to my followers in South Korea and Australia. Why do I single out these countries? Some former X grads are following me from those two countries and I am so glad to be in contact with them!
   Now, I was watching an all inspiring TED http://www.ted.com/ talk in class the other talking about the company APPLE http://www.apple.com/ and how they have become so successful. Instead of giving you the 18 minute version, found below on a previous blog, I am going to sum it up and relate it to each one of you in your way. In this video, a gentleman named Simon Sinek breaks down every single business into 3 parts. Basically, picture a bagel with a small hula hoop around it. [HAHA]. from outside inwards, the three layers were WHAT we do, HOW we do it and WHY we do it was at the heart of the inner circle. Companies, celebrities, singers, politicians, teachers and mentors can easily fail at reaching success in their lives if they live life from the outside in. If they live and are defined by what they do, rather than why they do it, they will ultimately lose sight of what true success means and will not reach their potential. These people will teach for money, be politicians for self benefit and ultimately run a business that is selfish and consists of too much "taking", not enough "giving".
     However, all hope is not lost. If you want to attain balance within your profession, whether it be through teaching, coaching, being a politician or a successful business owner, you need to think from the inside out. You need to be passionate about WHY you sell your product, WHY you are convinced it will help another person and have a clear purpose behind it. For example, in personal training I believe in exercise. I model it, live it, breath it, etc. but, it does not define me. I have many more things to offer but I am passionate about  my clients, their individual purposes for why they are working out and improving their health. People ask me why I would exercise on a holiday, those individuals fail to see the inverse in that they are trying to define me by WHAT I do, not WHY I do it. That is normal though, the media wants us to be people who just DO stuff. they want you to be "Who you are", but fail to dig deeper in figuring out the "WHY" in each one of us. Sounds simple eh Ryan? Well, here is another example...
      I look at Steve Jobs. the accomplished CEO of Apple. He spent 3 full business days in meetings discussing the curve that the iPad 2 should have on the back. Most people in the meeting and within the company thought that was a superfluous waste of time. However, Jobs was a man who saw the "WHY" in his life and his business. WHY did he spend that much time designing the curve of the iPAD 2 just right? Because for him, he would not sleep at night knowing he settled for something that was just not right for him. He did not matter how much money and time were spent on this, everyone was in those meeting because that is WHY they were working for one of the most successful businessmen of our time. Another time, Jobs closed a whole bunch of apple stores. People were walking into the malls and could not buy apple products anymore. for 2-3 months Jobs was in intensive meetings to redesign his product stores. He did not like the previous layout of the stores and so again he did not care about time, he cared about the "WHY" in his business.
   I know this is tough to follow folks, so if I could sum this speech up quickly I just want to let you know that you should not settle. Do your best to dig deeper, question things and do not let "WHAT" you do, define HOW you do it and WHY you do it. Let the WHY you do it define HOW you are going to do it and then figure out WHAT decision will help you see your results through!

Ryan Fahey
B.A Human Kinetics
CPTN Canada
Canfitpro

No comments:

Post a Comment