Thank You for visiting! Merci pour avoir visite

Translate my blog

Monday 2 December 2013

Airport Fitness Centres


  
"The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity".
-Peter Drucker

        
        The other day when I was flying to New York, in the middle of all the Holiday craziness I thought, “How cool would it be to have an airport gym?” Well, after doing some research I recently discovered that the busiest airport in the world, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, has already adopted this idea.
        While talking with some friends back home, I also realized that Toronto-Pearson International Airport has also added a Goodlife Fitness facility for movement enthusiast travelers. After discovering this new phenomenon, it became apparent that things are changing...for the better. I personally feel like the addition of a movement facility within an airport is one of the most interesting and practical ideas to date. Not only can you kill time while traveling, you can also use the facility to stay active. Along with that comes stress relief, enjoyment, and have less anxiety. Who knows, maybe you will actually talk to someone who is a fellow traveling workout enthusiast.
         While this might be the best idea since sliced bread, I think that for these facilities to continue to succeed, as well as for new airports to start this trend, a few necessities will be required. Some things that I would want as a traveler seeking a workout would be: 

The facility must

1. Have a place to store your luggage safely! (Toronto-Pearson Airport has done this!)
2. Be spacious 
3. Provide towels and have emasculate shower/bathroom facilities
4. Have mouthwash, floss, Q-tips, etc..
5. Have a day care facility to sustain families as they need to know that their children are safe during their workout

      These amenities would make a fitness facility extremely successful. I think that finding ways to keep people active during long days of travel make traveling more attractive. For example, if I knew I was going to have a long layover in Cleveland, I may switch flights for the same length layover in Toronto knowing that their airport has a gym for me to move around in between flights. 
      The bottom line here is that this is a win/win for all. Gyms can get their brand into the airport world, people can have happier, healthier travel days, and those 'in gym' airports become more attractive to movement enthusiasts. I look to see many more airports adding this luxury to their infrastructure in the next few years!


Ryan Fahey

No comments:

Post a Comment