Thank You for visiting! Merci pour avoir visite

Translate my blog

Thursday 27 September 2012

Energy Management




      We all know there is not enough time in a day. Minutes of free time are like a rare treasure. Books on time management have sold millions and yet no more time seems to free up in our lives. Why is this? What if I told you that there is a new way of thinking in town? A new way of getting through your day, your week, etc and still be functional and not a "zombie".
      Energy management is best described as having enough energy to fully function within the constraints of time pressed upon you each day. A professor from Douglas College in B.C spoke to me about this new concept and I am so glad he did. Since hearing his take on energy management vs. time management I have began to change around how I do things. I now substitute one more hour of my evening sleeping instead of worrying about school work and instead, use the added energy for a more productive work hour first thing in the morning.
      I also ensure to spread out my food consumption. Being well rested and knowing time is not a factor (not in control) which limits my day, I time my food consumption based around energy levels. For example, if my energy runs low at 2 pm, I  grab a quick nutritious snack to help sustain my energy to make the most of my afternoon time. Doing this increases my energy to manage all of my remaining activities prior to fuelling up at dinner.
      Also, by adding in an exercise bout during your day can really increase your energy levels while simultaneously making you feel good to make the most of your day. Find that time to release your energy through exercise either in the morning, afternoon or evening. Even a 20 minute brisk walk can reduce your stress levels, thus increasing energy to transfer into other activities.
      These are just a few ways of wrapping your head around energy management. It is a shift from thinking " I need more time." to "How can I maximize my energy for the day?". You may think they are the same thing but I disagree. I feel more engaged, focused and competent that I can make the most of all of my energy if I a) listen to my body’s energy needs b) stay rested regardless of what still needs to be done c) get my workouts in regardless of my time constraints and d) time my workouts and snacks according to how my energy levels are.
      Now, keep in mind, I have a schedule that can accommodate this energy. My work is currently sporadic, keeping me on my toes both physically and mentally for long periods of time each day.
      I challenge you to shift your thinking, take control of the time you have by enjoying it with as much energy as you can and continue to pursue your dreams.

Ryan Fahey
B.A Human Kinetics
CPTN Canada
Canfitpro FIS, PTS
NCCP

No comments:

Post a Comment