Thank You for visiting! Merci pour avoir visite

Translate my blog

Tuesday 18 September 2012

70 Handshakes

Last weekend I was able to attend the PHE Canada Student Leadership Conference held at Camp Walden in Bancroft, Ontario. It was a phenomenal team and leadership building camp. I could write for days about how well this conference was orchestrated and carried out by PHE Canada mentors and leaders from around both Canada and the United States. The duration of the camp included activities ranging from tying knots, low ropes tasks and rock climbing adventures to canoe and mountain bike excursions. 
         My experiences at the conference were unlike anything I had ever imagined or done before. I was tasked by being immersed into a diverse group of leaders whom, for the most part, I did not know. I had to "adapt" and "lead" alongside each one of them to complete team tasks. Despite all of the professional development, success, networking and literacy I gained from this camp/conference experience, I would have to say that the best part of the entire adventure was the final evening of camp. Standing hand in hand with newly acquainted yet somehow familiar strangers, we all bonded together over bagpipes and various euphemistic songs. 
          Now, you are reading this and probably thinking, "Ryan, I'm not really sure if this is a reflection, a persuasion to venture to Camp Walden, or just a rave." Think no further.... 
          After the end of our songs, hugs and tears we gathered together for a "circle shake". Each person went around the circle of leaders and shooks their hands. This might have been one of the most motivating moments of my professional career as a teacher, mentor and leader. Shaking hands with 70 of some of the most powerful, mindful, competent and motivating people I had ever met brought me to the brink of tears. These were not only people and actions for me. Each handshake and, in some cases, hugs were ways of authentic expressions of leadership, thankfulness, gratitude and compassion. As I was shaking the hand of a professor from Douglas College a light bulb went off in my head. I thought to myself, "There is no other place in the world and no other people in the world (except my family, of course) that I would rather be spending my time with."
          Aspiring to inspire, the individuals I was fortunate enough to shake hands with represent and will continue to represent the integrity and respect which PHE Canada and partnering Universities share among their leaders, faculty members and employers. The model of excellence and character as well as the shared passions of physical activity, physical literacy, health and wellness is unmatched in this nation and throughout the United States. 

Ryan Fahey 
B.A Human Kinetics 
CPTN Canada 
Canfitpro FIS, PTS
NCCP

No comments:

Post a Comment